Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Buenos Dias from Francy pants!

Hey family!

Weird so I was just really worried that I wasn't going to be able to get you a good email because the keyboards here are really retarded, but I think I pressed something right because it is typing like an American keyboard now. Except I am still kind of used to the Swiss computers, so my z and y might still get mixed up every once in a while. But cool, eh?

Anyways, how is everybody? France is pretty great so far! Dijon is really cool. If you think of an old Frenchy town with lots of cobble stone roads and cathedrals and old buildings, you are thinking of Dijon. And mustard, of course. But we had good Dijon mustard in Geneva and I am pretty sure you can get that in America too, so that isn't really new. But the weather is beautiful because it is SPRING and I am loving it. I do miss Geneva and Sister Cutler like crazy though. What an ideal situation I had there. But I love my new companions. Sister Smith is from Arizona but her family lives in China these days, and Sister Echols, the new one, is from Anchorage, Alaska. Neat! It is kind of fun being in a threesie, except for in the mornings. But that is ok, I am sure we will figure out a rhythm and it will be just fine. But it is also kind of nice being the sidekick and not the trainer or the trainee. I can act like a junior companion when I want to and I can act like a senior companion when I want to too! It's a nice comfortable little position. But we are having fun and I think this transfer will be good. We got white washed into a pretty good area. There is a baptismal date for the end of April (we will see how ready she is by then) and we have a few really great progressing investigators. And the elders are super helpful too. We have done some finding since we got here and we have already met some great people that we are hopefully going to start teaching.

It was pretty exciting getting here on Wednesday though. First of all, Sister Cutler and I both had to get all of our stuff ready and clean and prepare the apartment for the two sisters that were white washing Geneva. Then we had to both drag our stuff down to the gare (train station), which was a bit of a workout. Sister Dix met us there and waited with me. But then I had to say goodbye to Sister Cutler. That was not so fun. Bah. But then Sister Smith and Sister Echols came from the mission home and met up with me. I could have gone to the mission home to pick her up too, but I would have had to drag my suitcases all the way there and then just all the way back to the gare, so I just waited there. But then the three of us plus two elders who were both moving to Besancon, which is a town close to Dijon, took a train together with FIVE missionaries' worth of luggage. Struggle! And we all had to switch trains in the middle of the trip, so we had to unload and reload all of it. And one of the Elders missed one of his bags, so I think it is in Paris at the moment....oops. But we called President Murdock and he is taking care of it. He can fix anything haha. But the elders got on a different second train than us, so it was just us three sisters with all of our stuff. But thankfully the Dijon elders met us at the gare in Dijon and helped us drag all of our stuff to the apartment. My arms and shoulders were super sore the next day haha. But we made it! The apartment is bigger than the last one, and it has a washer, dryer, and oven, none of which existed in the Geneva apartment. Nice, eh? Oh by the way, here is my new address:

Les Missionnaires
Soeur Allison Bentley
36, Rue Tivoli
21000, Dijon
FRANCE

Start sending all those letters! I am ready for them!

So this week we have just been trying to figure the city out and what we are supposed to do. I am working on learning the bus system. It is kind of different from Geneva. There are no trams, just busses, and not as many of them. And they don't come quite as often as in Geneva, so it takes a little longer to get places, which kind of stinks. Something to get used to, I suppose. I haven't gotten to use Spanish yet either, boo. Soon enough I hope. But Sister Smith speaks Spanish pretty well, so I can practice with her.

Oh, I attached a couple of pictures. One of them is four of the five of us with a ton of our stuff before we got on the second train The other is of me and Sister Echols yesterday with some French baguettes. French fact of the day: Baguette also means chopstick.

Alright, I only have a few minutes left, but I just want you all to know how much I love you and appreciate you. What a great family I have, no joke. I am really excited to talk to you in a month and a half or so. Plus, hopefully I will be able to get some letters out soon. Mom and Rachel, have a lot of fun in Texas! And Dad and the boys, have fun holding down the fort there at home. And Grace, you are super. And everyone else who reads this, I love you too! Have a really great week.

Love,
ALLIE

P.S. Countdown until Conference: 13 days...


No comments:

Post a Comment